In today’s world, writing can take on many forms, from novels to screenplays, academic papers to blog posts. With so many different writing styles and projects, it’s essential to have a tool that can help keep everything organized and easily accessible. This is where Scrivener comes in. In this Scrivener review, the reader will find out what Scrivener is, how to use it, its pricing, customer support, pros and cons, and ultimately come to a conclusion about whether or not it’s the right tool for their writing needs.
What is Scrivener?
Scrivener is a powerful writing software designed to help writers of all levels manage and organize their projects. Developed by Literature and Latte, it is available for macOS, Windows, and iOS devices. Unlike traditional word processors, Scrivener is specifically tailored to the needs of writers, offering a wide range of tools and features to help with research, outlining, writing, and editing.
One of the key features of Scrivener is the ability to break down a project into smaller sections. This allows writers to focus on individual scenes or chapters, making it easier to manage large projects, such as novels or academic papers. Additionally, Scrivener offers a corkboard view, which enables writers to visualize their projects and rearrange sections easily.
Scrivener also provides numerous formatting options, making it suitable for various writing styles and formats. From the standard manuscript format for novels to screenplay formatting, Scrivener can handle it all. Furthermore, it offers a variety of exporting options, allowing writers to create professional-looking documents in various formats, such as PDF, Word, and ePub.
How to Use Scrivener
To begin using Scrivener, the first step is to download and install the software on the desired device. Once installed, the user can create a new project by selecting the appropriate template. Scrivener offers a variety of pre-made templates for different types of writing projects, such as fiction, non-fiction, screenwriting, and academic papers.
After selecting the template, the user can start creating their project by adding text, images, and other media. The main workspace in Scrivener, known as the “Binder,” is where all the project’s content is organized. Users can create folders and subfolders, and add individual documents or text files within these folders. This organization system allows for easy navigation and access to all parts of the project.
Writing and Editing
Scrivener offers numerous tools to make the writing process more comfortable and efficient. The “Scrivenings” mode allows users to view multiple documents as a single, continuous text, making it easy to work on larger projects. The “Split Screen” feature enables users to view two documents side by side, which can be helpful when comparing drafts or referencing research materials.
The software also comes with a powerful editor that offers a wide range of formatting options, including font styles, sizes, and colors, as well as paragraph and line spacing. Users can also add footnotes, endnotes, and comments, making it easy to keep track of notes and revisions.
Research and Organization
One of the standout features of Scrivener is its ability to store and organize research materials within the project. Users can import various types of files, such as PDFs, images, and web pages, and keep them alongside their writing. This makes it easy to reference research materials during the writing process without having to switch between multiple applications.
The “Corkboard” and “Outliner” views are also valuable tools for organization and planning. The Corkboard view displays the project’s sections as index cards on a virtual corkboard, allowing the user to rearrange and organize the order of their project easily. The Outliner view provides a more detailed overview of the project, including word counts and any custom metadata, making it easy to track progress and stay organized.
How Much Does Scrivener Cost?
Scrivener offers a one-time purchase pricing model, which means that users pay once and receive all future updates for free. The cost for Scrivener varies depending on the platform:
- For macOS, the software costs $49.
- For Windows, the price is also $49.
- For iOS devices, the cost is $19.99.
Please note that the macOS and Windows versions are sold separately, so users who want to use Scrivener on both platforms will need to purchase each version individually.
Scrivener also offers a free trial, which allows users to test the software for 30 non-consecutive days before deciding whether or not to purchase it. This trial period offers full access to all the features of the software, making it an excellent opportunity to determine if Scrivener is the right tool for the user’s writing needs.
Scrivener Customer Support
Scrivener offers various resources and support options for its users. Their website features a comprehensive knowledge base, including articles and video tutorials that cover a wide range of topics, from getting started with the software to more advanced features and techniques.
Additionally, Scrivener provides email support for users who need assistance with specific issues or questions. Their support team is known for being responsive and helpful, ensuring that users receive the assistance they need to make the most of the software.
Scrivener Pros & Cons
- Powerful organization tools: Scrivener’s binder, corkboard, and outliner views make it easy to manage and organize large writing projects.
- Customizable writing environment: The software offers a wide range of formatting options, allowing users to tailor the writing environment to their preferences and needs.
- Research and reference management: The ability to store and organize research materials within the project makes it easy to reference and incorporate these materials during the writing process.
- Cross-platform compatibility: Scrivener is available for macOS, Windows, and iOS devices, allowing users to work on their projects from various devices.
- Learning curve: Due to the vast array of features and tools, Scrivener can be overwhelming for new users. However, the available tutorials and resources can help users become more comfortable with the software.
- Separate purchases for macOS and Windows: Users who want to use Scrivener on both macOS and Windows will need to purchase both versions separately, which can be a downside for those who frequently switch between platforms.
- Limited collaboration options: Scrivener is primarily designed for individual use, and its collaboration features are minimal compared to other writing tools.
- Steep price for iOS version: While the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener are reasonably priced, the iOS version is relatively expensive compared to other writing apps available for mobile devices.
In conclusion, Scrivener is an excellent tool for writers of all levels. Its powerful organization tools, customizable writing environment, and research and reference management features make it an invaluable tool for managing and completing writing projects of all sizes.
While Scrivener does have a learning curve, the available resources and tutorials help new users become more comfortable with the software quickly. Additionally, the one-time purchase pricing model and free trial make it easy for users to determine if Scrivener is the right tool for their writing needs.
Overall, if you’re a writer looking for a tool to help you manage and organize your writing projects, Scrivener is definitely worth considering.